[Gllug] Whitelist-only spam filtering

Jake Jellinek jj at positive-internet.com
Thu Sep 12 10:25:41 UTC 2002

Hi,

I haven't had a single false positive using Spam Assassin on mail boxes
which were previously 80% spam (getting around 500 to 1000 mails a day
in the box). I do get the odd spam still slip through, but this is down
to about 4 spam messages a week out of around 6,000 messages which for
me is very acceptable.

Spam Assassin is good because it takes so many different factors and
blacklists into account and then scores each mail. You then set a score
limit for spam. Being in a single blacklist isn't usually enough reason
to consider a mail spam. It takes into account quite clever things such
as common phrases, URL forms, from headers etc.etc. as well as using
Vipul's Razor. It also uses whitelists in that once you have accepted
mail from an address a few times it doesn't run it through all the
checks again.

As for how to install it, it's a bit fiddly (best under debian with
apt-get really!) and under qmail I did end up having to hack my own
script which isn't perfect because I only get to see the scoring for
rejected mails and not accepted ones at the moment (so I can't tell how
close to my score limit the ones that got through were.)

Anyway, I resisted any filtering at all for some time, because I don't
like the idea of having to do it, but when it gets to the point where
you are spending more time deleting spam than reading mail something has
to be done.

Thanks,

Jake.

P.S. Thanks Thom for getting me to use it in the first place!

P.P.S. http://spamassassin.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk