[Gllug] Help. Can't send e-mail or access FTP

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Sep 29 13:48:36 UTC 2002

OS: Mandrake 8.2
Internet: Mozilla 1.1
Mail: Mozilla Mail
ISP: Freeserve
FTP: gftp
Modem: Diamond SuperSST 56e

I'm a relative beginner with Linux but over the last few months I've moved all
my web development, internet and e-mail access from my XP Pro machine to
another running Mandrake 8.2. Apart from slower internet access and more
frequent disconnections, everything has been running fine for a couple of
months but since Friday night I haven't been able to send e-mail or access FTP
on the Mandrake box. However, I can still receive e-mail and access the internet.

OK, your first reaction is probably that I should contact Freeserve but there
is a twist here. I have an identically-configured copy of Mozilla 1.0 running
on my XP Pro box which doesn't have this problem. I can access FTP with
Dreamweaver on it and send e-mail.

The error message I receive when SMTP and FTP fail on the Mandrake box is:

"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: relaying to
<address> prohibited by administrator. Please check the message recipients and
try again."

The main reason I'm contacting this group instead of Freeserve is that I can't
work-out which "administrator" is issuing this message. Is it possible that
the servers at Freeserve are handling mail and internet access differently
according to the OS used? Is there anything I can tweak at my end?

Freeserve technical support is also 90p/minute which is out of the question on
my income.

Any help appreciated.

Garry Heaton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk