[Gllug] OT: conspiracy re. US Gov. and 911

omphe omphe at keiko.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 5 20:29:58 UTC 2002

Vincent AE Scott wrote:

> i was watching newsnight (last night i think) and they had a report
> about how American's had been effected by September the 11th.  a lot of
> them are now questioning why so much of the world hates the US.  it was
> quite shocking to witness some 'baseball jocks' questioning what effect
> the US was having on the rest of the world.

Being an American,  these three struck fear and trepidation into my heart.
I've been here four years now and these sorts of insular and comfortably
ignorant attitudes seem totally alien to me now.  Now I'm used to British
cynicism, but at least it is informed.

What strikes greater fear into my heart is the obsequeous rush for Tony Blair
to jump on the Dubya bandwagon.  Two things spring to mind:

Prevail upon your own leaders to follow the best interests of Britain.  They
spend a lot of time crying about losing sovreignty and economic independance in
the Euro debate, but are in a major hurry to become the 51st state.

Keep the Rupert Murdochs out of your country.  It's a national pastime to bash
the US, often deservedly, but a strange fascination with the US exists here.
Don't emulate us,  by and large Americans ARE ignorant and uninformed, with
very notable exceptions.  But much of this ignorance is due to a real lack of
accurate and comprehensive journalism, areas that Britain excels in worldwide.
There are no choice of newspapers there, nor is there a culture of
information.  Try reading the USA Today while commuting 45 minutes to work in
your car.  If you don't die in a car crash, you'll slip into a stupifying coma.

My two pence

Branden Faulls

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk