[Gllug] Re: Gllug digest #2082 - Software for Schools

mriscott at yahoo.co.uk mriscott at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 9 11:50:45 UTC 2002

> There's a big difference between what they need and what they think or are
> being told that they need.  This is an area of massive hypocrisy in
> schools - very large amounts of so-called educational software get bought
> and then used very little.

Having been a science/IT teacher a few years ago, I will add my 2p here.

In terms of teaching 'IT', the main thing is teaching use of spreadsheet,
Word Processors, etc.  I did meet several teachers who were of the opinion
that the 'only' thing to do was to teach MS Office - but I am convinved that
something like OpenOffice would be just as relevant.  The thing kids really
need to learn is the *ideas* - and skills like controlling a mouse and keyboard,
etc.

As far as 'educational' software within subjects, my experience was that
teachers will use anything they can get their hands on.  In science, we
actually used the old BBC micros a lot - there are several very simple
programs which were originally written for BBCs and have never really been
superceded.  In most schools I have been in the science dept has commandeered
a load of old BBCs that nobody else wants!

Within this area, I am convinced that open source should be easily able to
get a toe-hold - the idea of being able to change a program (or get it changed)
to demonstrate precisely what you want would be very useful for teachers.

As I remember it, there were several old PCs hanging around - wouldn't run
win98, so they were considered useless.  I feel sure that if you could
communicate the fact that linux will run happily on these, and produce an
array of simple programs for them, this could be a useful thing to do.

The other thing which computers got used for a lot was Encarta, etc.  I
presume there must be linux encyclopedias, etc.  I reckon something
like gdict would also be helpful for many teachers.

Just my ramblings,

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk