[Gllug] OT: conspiracy re. US Gov. and 911

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Sep 4 11:52:05 UTC 2002

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 12:23:22PM +0100, Vincent AE Scott wrote:

> a few thousand people slaughtered in a sky scraper is a bad thing, but
> thousands of people die every day in the third world.  yet we don't see
> the great American people rallying together to address that problem.

That is the whole point. Lots of people dieing was not thought a problem - they
were not US citizens & so the US did not care. The US consumes 25% of world
energy but only has 5% of the population - that must change, this is why
the US needs to view itself from a non US perspective. The US attitude to
the world summit in South Africa shows that they still have a long way to go
to become responsible citizens of the world community.

The events of 11 Sept were, to an extent, motivated as a reaction to the US
world view and so, it could be said, that the current starting of US
attempts to understand the rest-of-world viewpoint means that the 11 Sept
highjackers succeeded in part of what they set out to do.

[[ The above paragraph should *not* be interpretted to mean that I approve
or condone the events of 11 Sept in any way - just that I think that I can
understand some of the mindset that led up to it. ]]

We in Europe are similarly aflicted with this viewpoint problem, but
not nearly as badly as the US.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>