[Gllug] London Community News Version 2

Dean Wilson dean.wilson3 at virgin.net
Tue Sep 24 22:35:50 UTC 2002

I thought i should actually put a post out about this since the thread
discussing it hit a whole three posts ;)

I've been mumbeling about bringing the LCN back for a couple of months now
since a grand total of six people have mentioned it (Five more and i have a
football team... GLLUG/London PM football team; bad image...) and i have
the target date of the start of November for the next mailshot (Last one
was June last year i think) the biggest problems with doing the LCN were:

1: No one gave me any kind of advance notice of meetings
Its hard to do a monthly/fortnightly mail when you find out about the
venues three days in advance. In the middle of the month, typicaly a day
after i sent the mail out. This is one of the reasons i'm behind the
regular GLLUG meetings.

2: I had to be watching all the mailing lists for meeting announcements.
Very few people (Tushar is a notable exception as he's always bang on with
letting me know) bothered to tell me about special events so most of the
leg work had to be done by me. And that don't scale. This time i'm aiming
to get people to tell me. I'm just not sure how yet...

<rant>if you have a website and a meeting is coming up post fscking details
about it on the site. Not everyone is on every list</rant>

3: I had to be subbed via a posting account to a lot of mailing lists to
get the annoucements out. SAGE-WISE kindly gave me post ability to
SAGE-ANNOUNCE and Neil Ford ated as a relay to some of the BSD groups but
an easier answer would be better.

In this age of RSS/RDF/Semantic Web and webservices you'd think this would
be easy ;)

Any one have any views on maybe an RSS feed of the next meetings coming up
or maybe an online version of the LCN for easy look ups?

  Dean
[0] Any events you want mentioned drop a note to me at this address for
consideration and probable inclusion.[1]
[1] This includes events along the lines of the UKUUG talks as they are
great and suit the audience but does not include TCR on a Saturday, London
PM DimSum or TULS currys.

--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand
--- Anon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk