[Gllug] OT - general advice required on possible home setup

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Sun Sep 8 09:16:39 UTC 2002

Pavel Bradut Boghita wrote:

> Is it possible to control all these LAN components only from the main pc
> without the need for a KVM switch ?

Hey, this isn't OT. Its quite important - specially in cluster computing.

I would say that normally you would access the headless boxen via ssh and http.
You say you want console access - good.

Me, I would get a KVM switch. As I've said before on the list, corega.co.uk are
good value.

Or, you could borrow a technique from the cluster world (yes, I know this is a
bit ugly).
Enable serial consoles on the headless boxes (the GLLUG list can talk you
throught
this, and it will be a good learning point for us all).
Then use the two serial ports of your main box to conenct others.
You can 'daisy chain' further boxes.
On some big clusters, the nodes are serial connected in pairs - so that you
should always
be able to get a console session from a 'good' box.
That scheme has been tried here in the past, but is not currently in use
(on a big cluster I'd  go for the better engineered solution of multiport serial
cards or serial port concentrators
if I could).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk