[Gllug] Netscape 7

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Mon Sep 23 16:43:36 UTC 2002

>Does anyone know how to do a non interactive installation of netscape 7
>under linux.   All the installation instructions seems to mention is the
>GUI based install which is no good for installing to many multi user
>systems.

Huh? Why not? Normally, I'd agree with you (and I despise Oracle for
forcing a graphical install for a server based product). But Netscape 7
is inherently a graphical product, and hence a GUI install shoudln't
be a problem. Unless, of course, you're trying to install it locally
on each desktop (rather than centrally on a server, which is what we've
done here), at which point, it becomes very time consuming.  But then,
one of the real strengths of Unix is that it lets you do a single install
centrally, and share it among multiple users on multiple machines. Why
fight it? Just Do The Right Thing (tm) :-)

Alternatively, simply install it on one machine graphically, then tar it
up and distribute to any other machines you see fit.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk