[Gllug] [slightly ot] ADSL config fun

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 19 22:28:36 UTC 2002

On Thu 19 Sep, John Hearns wrote:

> Thinking about all this - I guess that's why ISDN and ADSL service can't
> exist on the same pair of wires? Or am I wittering again?

   I thought that the reason why the BT attempts at ISDN and ADSL do not
coexist is that the local ADSL carrier frequency is not the same (lower?).
   I understand that they use the same carrier in some other countries, so
can coexist. Obviously once they get past the local exchange they just get
multiplexed in together with all the other data, so the data and control
streams need to conform to the correct standards, hence the standard ATM
packet size.
   The networking reference book I was reading gives some information, but
does say that the ATM system is perhaps the least understood system, and I
certainly do not understand the reasons why they do it this way.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk