[Gllug] Whitelist-only spam filtering

Wulf Forrester-Barker wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk
Thu Sep 12 10:43:34 UTC 2002

Sean <sean at uncertainty.org.uk> suggested:

> that sounds kind of extreme to me !...

My sum knowledge of the email whitelist concept is this thread and a
quick bit of Googling, which took me to:

http://impressive.net/people/gerald/2000/12/spam-filtering.html

If anything, I'd say the whitelist concept seems LESS extreme than
using a blacklist. Perhaps someone could even implement a three tier
system:

Inbox (from whitelist addresses)
Unclassified ('greylist'?)
Junk (from blacklist addresses)

I would imagine that the most effective way to run this would be:

1. Pull out the whitelist email and put in your priority box (because
you explicitly want to see messages from those on your whitelist)

2. Remove blacklist material into a junk folder - maybe with automatic
removal if not checked in a certain period or to keep the storage to a
reasonable level)

3. Everything left over is stored as unclassified.

On accessing each folder, you'd want the option to easily move a
particular address to the opposite list or removing it altogether
(leaving it to drop into the grey zone).

The whole system is owned and maintained by the end user, not a shadowy
corporation, and is refined over time... it seems elegant rather than
extreme.

Wulf

wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk

DISCLAIMER:

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and
not necessarily the Trust. This email and any files transmitted with
it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorised disclosure of
the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

The contents of this email may contain software viruses which could
damage your own computer system. Whilst we have taken every
reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability
for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses.
You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening
the attachment.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or
postmaster at uhl.nhs.uk. Please then delete this email.

University Hospital Lewisham
Tel: 020 8333 3000
Web: http://www.lewisham.nhs.uk/