[Gllug] Server v. Desktop

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Fri Sep 20 07:53:47 UTC 2002

>What are there pros and cons of installing as a server v. desktop.

It's essentially just the selection of packages that get installed.

>Does server give you anything desktop mode doesnt

Yes. One of my criticisms of RH is that their "desktop" package selection
doesn't give you half the useful stuff you need. Networking tools like
netcat and tcpdump being notable by their absence (at least last time I
looked). Selecting server will install various daemons for handy protocols
like HTTP, FTP, SSH, SMB, etc.

>conversely would the presence of a desktop environment slow the
>operation as a server (I am assuming it is "displaying" a logon box
>on a switched off monitor most of the time).

Only if you select "boot into graphical login". If you don't (i.e., you
boot into run level 3 by default), there should be no performance overhead,
only increased disk space requirements.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk