[Gllug] Have I been compromised??

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Mon Sep 2 07:07:47 UTC 2002

* omphe (omphe at keiko.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> Need some advice.  My apache logs show a few entries from outside
> addresses, everything else coming from the localhost address.  All
> outside requests have been responded to with 404's or 405's.
> Chkrootkit detected nothing.  The history binary is in order.  ps seems
> to be working fine.  Have I been compromised?
>
> My inexperience tells me to reinstall, keeping only non-binaries in my
> backups.  Need I clean off my windows partition as well?  Not sure if
> I'm being paranoid or not.

Why do you think you've been compromised? Seeing external addresses in
your apache logs is pretty normal, after all =P

Lots of 404s or 405s is probably a code red attack or the unicode one,
which would only indicate a compromise if you were running IIS...

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk