[Gllug] Type of Install Server/WorkerStation/Custom

Ms. Lene Jensen ljensen at redhat.com
Fri Sep 20 11:11:27 UTC 2002

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Tethys wrote:

> I've never had the time to play with kickstart. Does it purely provide
> a list of packages to build with, or does it do it properly (i.e., let
> you provide modifications to config files, etc., so you can build a box
> with kickstart and have it ready to go, with not only the packages you
> want, but the entire box configured the way you want it)?

Kickstart is very versatile.  You can use components (such as @Kernel
Development, @Gnome, @kde) or single rpms (e.g. mutt, binutils) and so
on.  In addition, you kan have third party rpms as long as they are in
the hdlist.  In the post section you can create users, create
directories, install thirdparty rpms (those _not_ in hdlist), and other
scripts.  I use it to set up computers to my specs, after install, they
have exactly what I want to have on it, so I basically just reboot and
it works.  Good tool, me like.

LJ
--
10 Alan Turing Road | Tel: +441483734926 | Want Linux training or
Guildford           | Fax: +441483734956 | certification?  Go to

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk