[Gllug] Unable to access web sites via smoothwall

Laurence Turpin laurie.turpin at virgin.net
Mon Sep 16 19:34:27 UTC 2002

Hi,

I have installed smoothwall 0.98 on a P100 system, I have an external modem
which is just an ordinary 3com fax modem.
the smoothwall system is connected to my home network. When I go into a web
browser from a client machine, I can get the smoothwall administration pages
and have been able to set it up so that dial up and connect to my ISP
successfully, Hangup and shutdown smoothwall.
The problem is when smoothwall is up and running and I have connected to my
ISP I cannot use the web browser to visit web sites. So for example if I try
to go to www.bbc.co.uk I get the message that the host I requested cannot be
found. The same thing happens if I try to ping a web site on the internet. I
have tried setting the DNS and Gateway options on the client machine to the
smoothwall ip address but it still does not work.
Please help I am stuck now.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk