[Gllug] Yesterday's GLLUG meeting

Kim Hawtin kim at freesolutions.net
Mon Sep 16 12:32:58 UTC 2002

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 12:31:23PM +0100, David Damerell wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 Sep 2002, John Southern wrote:
> >little deeper. Ivan has always been of the opinion that the lectures should
> >be as technical as possible so the Gurus of the group would not be bored,
> >leave and then the group collapse. Newbies were expected to RTFM and if they
> >could not learn then tough! This does have the effect of limiting the pool of
> >Linux experts in the capital and so keep potential incomes high.
>
> All else aside, the idea that talks every few months to an audience of
> a couple of dozen people measurably affect the London job market is
> preposterous; Ivan can work that out as well as anyone. The motivation
> you imply is absurd.

i feel that email such as this last one are what have been less
favourable to gllug ...

an unfriendly mailling list drives people off and being miserable grumpy
prick helps no-one, and i doubt that it helps the attendance of the
meetings.

the meetings are in fact a great place to help land a job.
in fact i spoke with a potential employer on saturday.

and i learned something too ... the i18n (internationalisation) talk
was an eye opener in many respects.

a bit of friendly advocacy goes a long way, and scaring folks off only
marginalises groups ... we dont need that when we are trying to
support folks who are trying to take it into the business field.

kim.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk