[Gllug] the tao of backups...

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Sep 23 10:11:07 UTC 2002

On 23 Sep 2002, John Winters wrote:

> > Enjoy rebuilding your DNS from memory when you realise your backup doesn't
> > include /var/named...
>
> Except that being a Debian system the relevant stuff will be in
> /etc/bind.

Surely that depends upon whether you are a primary or a secondary.

At standard Debian install puts secondary data files under /var/cache/

I tend to alter things to use /var/named anyway as that is standard on all
of my boxen.

> I've been bitten in the past by mis-interpreting tar's exclusion clauses
> and finding I'd failed to back up certain crucial files.

Ah the importance of always testing your backups with a full restore.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM	 	           get your @ukpost.com address now...
http://www.ukpost.com/	 	   professional hosting and colocation