[Gllug] Backing-up / Moving a MySQL database

Steve Nicholson yahoogroups at yoursolutions.com
Tue Sep 24 08:53:42 UTC 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 21:01:32 +0100 Xander D Harkness wrote:

> I have just discovered that a new server is being built in the next >few  days to take this software.
>
> As many of the users have entered their data, I was wondering how easy > it is to move the database.  Is it a matter of copying a couple of >files?

If it is going on a new server specially for this software and MySQL isn't being set up for anything else you can just copy across all the database files.  Restart the server and you are away running, I have done this from Windows version to Linux as well (had to change extensions to uppercase).  Has to be the same version of MySQL to help, I think there was a change in one of the versions that had changes in the data files, not 100% sure on that.

I'm not a MySQL master I've just had to move it between servers and get it running a few times.  I've also had to use mysqldump, our last move from Linux to FreeBSD was a simple file copy.

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk