[Gllug] [slightly ot] ADSL config fun

Matthew Kirkwood matthew at hairy.beasts.org
Tue Sep 17 22:35:33 UTC 2002

Hi,

This is slightly off-topic, but there seems to be more
tame networking knowledge here than most other places,
and I don't doubt that someone here has a similar config.

My ADSL was activated yesterday and seems to be working
OK.  However, I'm having some issues trying to convince
my D-Link 504 router to run non-NATted.

With NAT enabled, I can see the outside world (though it
does seem to have absurdly low connection timeouts).  If
I disable NAT and try to put the ethernet interface onto
my IP block (xxx.yyy.zzz.126/29) it refuses to accept a
LAN IP on the same block as the WAN one.  So I down the
WAN link, reconfigure and re-connect (or force it via the
CLI).

Now, I get ICMP redirects from the router suggesting that
packets go out via itself.  I've lost the tcpdumps, but
they look roughly like:

udp xxx.yyy.zzz.121:<N> => ns1:domain: www.dlink.com?
icmp xxx.yyy.zzz.126 => xxx.yyy.zzz.121: redirect to xxx.yyy.zzz.126

Am I being stupid here, or is the router IP stack really
badly broken?

Cheers,
Matthew.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk