[Gllug] Utility to synchorise files on two machines

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Fri Apr 11 18:40:34 UTC 2003

Paul Nasrat <pauln at truemesh.com> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 01:47:22PM +0100, Andrew Black wrote:
> > Hi
> > I would like to synchronise files on a laptop with a desktop, so that the
> > files are available when the laptop is not on the network.  I would like
> > changes made on the laptop to find their way back to the desktop version
> > when I next sync.
>
> I'd recommend rsync http://rsync.samba.org or find unison
> http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/ which does bi-directional
> sync'ing of use.

I've found Unison to be good enough for the job, and the unison-gtk
frontend is quite nice. Tip: dont faff around with the other options,
just have unison ssh into the other machine and start up whatever it
wants.

cheers, Rich.

rich walker | technical person | Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
front-of-tshirt space to let     251 Liverpool Road   |
                                 London  N1 1LX       | +UK 20 7700 2487

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk