[Gllug] gpg problems

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 21:58:46 UTC 2003

Hi all,
I wrote previously about problems I was having getting gpg to work with
my upgraded Kmail. It appears that I can generate new key pairs and get
them working, but something is wrong with the secring.gpg file that I
copied from my previous set-up. I have got my previous public.asc, my
secretkey.asc and my revokekey.asc files. I know my passphrase, but
whatever I try doesn't seem to enable me to use my previous secret key
to encrypt messages. With the command

gpg --list-keys
I get all the keys detailed on my public keyring, but the command

gpg --list-secret-keys

produces gpg: keydb_search failed: invalid packet.

Opening the secring.gpg (/home/mark/.gnupg/secring.gpg) in emacs
produces a few lines of advanced gobbledegook and a feeling of nausea.
Not quite as many lines of gobbledegook as the newly generated
secring.gpg files produced by the newly created successful working keys
it has to be said.
Any suggestions on how to proceed either how to use the revoke key to
cancel my original key, or how to obtain a working secring.gpg file for
my previously working secret key would be appreciated.
Regards,
Mark Preston

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk