[Gllug] Detecting X in cshrc

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Tue Apr 29 18:21:18 UTC 2003

Ian Norton writes:

>you could just see if the DISPLAY variable is defined?

No, no, no! I've lost count of the number of apps that do this,
and it's just plain wrong. The *only* way to see if you're in
X is to try connecting to the X server in $DISPLAY. It's quite
possible (and indeed in some cases, common) for it to be set,
but either not pointing to a valid X server, or pointing to
one that you don't have permissions to access.

	xdpyinfo > /dev/null 2>&1
	if [ $? -eq 0 ]
	then
		echo "I'm running under X. Launch GUI app."
	else
		echo "I'm stuck on a console. Use the curses interface.
	fi

But that doesn't seem to be what the original question was asking.
If you're in an xterm, then your $TERM is whatever you've either
set it to in your startup scripts, or inherited from the xterm
itself (usually just "xterm", but can be overriden with the -tn
command line switch).

What's the problem that you're trying to solve here? Why do you
want to override the default $TERM?

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk