[Gllug] SFTP Server

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Mon Apr 14 02:41:39 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 15:37, Doug Winter wrote:
> And if it hasn't, and you are on a switched network (which pretty much
> everyone is now), then they can't sniff you from somewhere else.

I would disagree with both these assumptions.

Many places are still using (possibly legacy) hubs, or a combination of
hubs connected to switches - for example we have only recently thrown
out some of our (at the time super-duper-fast <:) 100 Mbps hubs, but for
space rather than performance reasons. I suspect many places still have
hubs in service where performance isn't an issue.

In any case, even if you do have switches they only prevent "trivial"
packet capture - you can indeed be sniffed - see my earlier reply to
this thread.

Simon

Dr Simon A. Boggis                                  Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,                     Tel. 020 7882 7522
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.
---- GPG public key <http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/#publickey> ----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk