[Gllug] Bad file descriptor

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 16:09:43 UTC 2003

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 04:18:30PM +0100, Xander D Harkness wrote:
>
>> I removed squid and squidguard, I then reistalled the Red Hat default
>> squid and ran it with the default configuration with -N (no daemon)
>> and -X (full debug)
>>
>> Squid does not even start writing to the log before it dies - there
>> are no logs and without the strace there is minimal output:
>
>> Debug output
>> 2003/04/29 16:11:06| leave_suid: PID 4007 giving up root, becoming
>> 'squid' Aborted
>
> Just replicate here.  You need to run squid -z to initialise the
> cache_dirs first.  As you are using the RH config rather than your old
> one they may point at a different location and not be initialised.
>
> A quick squid -z for the new config will fix it...
I should have mentioned that I did do this.  I have done so again and get
exactly the same response

If I use the RH standard service squid restart I get a Failed  then OK
even though it never starts.

I shall try an install from source; however I have a funny feeling that
also may not work.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk