[Gllug] any recommendation on Wireless LAN kit for Linux.

Mark Hazell nutts at penguinmail.com
Sat Apr 26 22:39:47 UTC 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:11:45 +0100 Hari typed:

> Hi All,
> Any recommendation on which hardware is best for Wireless LAN for
> Linux network. I am in the process of getting a wireless LAN kit. Any
> recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, I'm assuming you're looking at 802.11g products (so-called
54g as they're 54mbit instead of 802.11b's 11mbit).

Worth checking out are so-called 'dabs value' wireless products on
dabs.com. I advised a guy at work about them being Belkin products, but
sold through their 'value' chain at lesser prices. Take the Access
Point. Here is the 'dabs value' one at 92 including vat:
http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&quicklinx=2G78
Now look at the 'Belkin' one at 100 including vat:
http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&quicklinx=2CS7

See the manufacturer codes? Both F5D7130UK. They're the same product!

It's the same for the 802.11g pcmcia cards, the 'dabs value' branded
belkin product is sold cheaper than the 'belkin' branded belkin product.
Mad but true...the guy at work bought both and saved himself a few quid.
He didn't quite believe it could be true till they arrived :-)

Just a bit of friendly advise...

Cheers,
Mark.

--