[Gllug] Utility to synchorise files on two machines

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 13:15:53 UTC 2003

Andrew Black wrote:

>Hi
>I would like to synchronise files on a laptop with a desktop, so that the
>files are available when the laptop is not on the network.  I would like
>changes made on the laptop to find their way back to the desktop version
>when I next sync.
>
>The laptop is Mandrake , the desktop is W2000 accesed via Samba

You could map a drive from the samba server to the w2k machine

you could have a script set up in cron to do a check on smbstatus to see
if the machine is logged on and then use rsync conditionally

You could also use the samba server as a domain controller and use a
batch script to syncronise upon login / logout

Kind regards
Xander

--
Blessed are the forgetful:  for they get the better even of their blunders.
		-- Nietzsche

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk