[Gllug] OT: Need to notify ISP if phone no. changed?

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Apr 23 12:03:25 UTC 2003

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 12:35:38PM +0100, Dermot Moynihan wrote:
> I've arranged with BT for my phone no. to be changed in a weeks time. As
> contacting my ISPs is a right royal pain in the ass, can anybody tell me
> whether, indeed, it is necessary for me to tell them at all, at all?  Will
> I still have Internet access if I change the no.and tell my ISP zilch?
> From my little understanding I don't believe I will but somebody told me
> it makes no difference.

It all depends on what your set-up is.  If you are using a standard
dial-up account, then your ISP may be using CLI to identify you and may
not let you dial in from another number.  I used to have a ClaraNet
account and they had a lo-call number that relied on CLI.  OTOH, if you
have ADSL then it would be very important to let your ISP know about any
changes.  Check with them if you're not sure.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk