[Gllug] Firewire & camera problems on Suse 8.2

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Fri Apr 25 19:34:42 UTC 2003

Frank Kelly <fkelly at organictv.clara.co.uk> writes:

> I've just fitted a Belkin firewire card (Texas instruments circuitry, Sony
> i-Link tech) to my home-built box.  I've also upgraded from Suse Professional
> 8.0 to 8.2.  My camera is a new Sony Handycam DCR-TRV355-E.  The camera has a
> firewire port, USB port and USB streaming.
>
> PCI Infocentre shows the firewire card, as does /proc/bus/ieee1394 but
> Mainactor capture says 'the device may be busy or the program does not have
> root rights at startup'.
>
> I have attempted to change the root permissions, but with no effect. It will
> be obvious from this that I don't know a damn thing about video on computers
> so I wondered if anyone had any tips.

look at /dev/video1394 or /dev/video1394/0 or /dev/raw1394.

crwxrwxrwx    1 root     disk     171,   0 Sep 13  2002 /dev/raw1394

/dev/video1394:
total 0
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     171,  16 Apr 24 13:33 0
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     171,  17 Apr 24 13:33 1

are the permissions I get.

Try using kino to access the video device.

[PS, and on a complete aside, Morgan are currently selling a D-Link
firewire web-cam for £20. Comes with a heavy metal base, and a
non-firewire microphone. Works with coriander & the other tools. Given
that the (almost identical) unibrain fire-i camera is £75, it's a
bargain]

cheers, Rich.

rich walker | technical person | Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
front-of-tshirt space to let     251 Liverpool Road   |
                                 London  N1 1LX       | +UK 20 7700 2487

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk