[Gllug] Mysql Configure problem

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 18 21:09:40 UTC 2003

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Jack Bertram moaned:
> * Nix <nix at esperi.demon.co.uk> [030412 18:37]:
>> On Tue, 08 Apr 2003, Tethys said:
>> >                            You may be Nix, and have a machine that's
>> > binary incompatible with anything else on the planet...
>>
>> Hey, that can be useful at times; buffer-overflow attacks don't work :)
>
> As a relatively new subscriber to this list, what kind of machine does
> Nix run?  The above conversation has left me mystified...

The one in question is an i586-pc-linux-gnu box (P233), but as of last
week an i686-pc-linux-gnu (Athlon 4) has joined it.

(I've got an UltraSPARC II, too, but the calling conventions on that are
relatively sane, so I've felt no urge to redesign them. But the C ABI on
Intel has seen little change from the halcyon days of Xenix in '87...
well, until recently, when a register for thread-local storage was
added. But its fundamental uglinesses remain --- for everyone other than
me, that is. I guess Gentoo users that used no binary-only software could
take advantage of them, too --- but the list of things that need changing
is surprisingly large; not just GCC and the binutils, but glibc, gdb,
Mozilla and much else. Even ElectricFence needed light tweaking.

And let's not even *think* about valgrind. I've not finished fiddling
with my changes to that yet...)

--
`It is an unfortunate coincidence that the date locarchive.h was
 written (in hex) matches Ritchie's birthday (in octal).'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk