[Gllug] Re: Broadband with PlusNet

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 12:54:22 UTC 2003

John Hearns writes:

> On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 12:54, Tethys wrote:
>>
>> John Hearns writes:
>>
>> >Envy. My line failed the BT tests.
>>
>> I didn't take the chance. I ordered a new line, and at the time of
>> order, told them that it was for ADSL, and that if they installed
>> something that wasn't suitable for ADSL, they'd be giving me a full
>> refund. Fortunately, it all worked fine...
>
> Truth be told, I wonder how these line tests are physically done.
> I really wonder if in my case they've just taken a line length from a
> GIS database. And as this line number was moved from another house, I
> wonder how accurate that is.

They don't just measure line length, the measure line loss and something
else. I am suffering the misfortune to be less than 3.5km from the exchange
but our line is not up to the quality for ADSL. We are also now a bit stuck
as its a rented property and for a new line BT want a 12 month minimum
contract, and we don't know where we will be 6 months from now.

Basically BT suck and I hate them with a passion.

> Exposing my ignorance, how much is the install and rental on a second
> line?

BT wanted 75 quid from us for a new exchange line + normal monthly rental,
they will make sure your line will work with ADSL if you specify its for "BT
broadband" or give you your money back if it doesn't work (and cut the line
off) but they will not certify it for other DSL providors either so you
could find that the new line will not work with ADSL either and be stuck
with it.

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk