[Gllug] Sony Net MD

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Thu Apr 24 15:18:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 12:39:39PM +0100, Richard Turner wrote:
> Does anyone have any idea whether it's possible to get Linux to talk to my
> Net MD Walkman over its USB interface?  I've just decided to try to
> permanently and completely rid myself of Windows, and that's one of the
> things I'm going to miss if Linux won't support it.

There's software at:

http://pdr.cx/projects/gnetmd/main/

Let me know if you have any problems with it.

As Grzegorz said, to be able to download songs to the device, you need both
the ATRAC codec and to be able to reverse engineer the MagicGate
authentication scheme, so currently that is still not supported by gnetmd.
Sony don't release drivers for anything besides Windows unfortunately, and
when you ask for technical details from them, they just tell you that all
you get is the manual.

HTH,
Pete
--