[Gllug] sendmail and KMail config

Richard Turner richard at rj-turner.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Apr 26 23:18:49 UTC 2003

On Sunday 27 April 2003 00:05, Adrian McMenamin put fingers to keys and typed:
> On Saturday 26 April 2003 23:50, Richard Turner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Now I know I'm probably asking something that's pretty easy to fix, but
> > I've really got little idea about sendmail and I don't know where to
> > start.
> >
> > I want to configure KMail to route outgoing messages through sendmail
> > running locally (on the same box).  That should be easy in KMail - there
> > are practically no options to confuse me - but all the test messages I've
> > sent to my POP3 accounts have bounced.  The messages bounce because an
> > SMTP server along the way rejects them - it can't verify my email address
> > as being valid. This is hardly surprising since the address it's trying
> > to validate is richard at melkor.zygous.co.uk, i.e. richard at localhost, and
> > that isn't an Internet email address.
>
> The simplest way is configure sendmail to use a 'smarthost' - which most
> likely will be your isp's smtp server. Google on that and I am sure you
> will find out how you can do it.
>
> Your emails are being rejected because they look quite like spam at the
> moment!
>
> Adrian

Yeah, I recognise why they're being rejected, and I've managed to configure
KMail to use my ISP's SMTP server (which is how I've managed to send these
messages to the mailing-list), but I want to be able to send them to my
sendmail and have that forward them on to my ISP's server.  This way my
server can manage mail for my home network - I share a houes with two other
people and it'd be good if we could all route our mail through my server and
let it pass stuff on to my ISP when it wants to.

I would hope that these mesages don't look like spam at the moment - this is
probably as un-spam-like as they're likely to get :-)

Cheers,

Richard.

--
Richard Turner

"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk