[Gllug] Redhat 9 and moving distribution: your experience

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 22:40:39 UTC 2003

Doug Winter wrote:

> Yep - I use OpenBSD for all our server-based stuff here (the stuff that
> isn't Solaris anyhow), and I like it a lot.
>
> It's not as reliable as Linux on random dodgy x86 hardware

I find it pretty good at dodgy x86 hardware. My firewall is an IBM
ThinkPad 380 with a P150 and 16MB. Its previous owner could not get
Win98 to work properly on it (this has something to do with its being
free, as in beer, not speech). It runs OBSD fine. It wouldn't run any
recent mainstream Linux distro.

If OBSD fails there's always NetBSD. I've never seen this fail at all
however dodgy the PC. They are reasonably similar. The firewall in OBSD
is much better of course.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk