[Gllug] Linux for Mac

Branden Faulls bfaulls at omphe.com
Fri Apr 25 12:30:15 UTC 2003

Yellow Dog Linux puts out a pretty good RedHat based distro that comes
with a snazzy graphical installer.  I recently installed 2.3 on an old
PPC 8600/300 and it worked fairly well. YDL even comes with apt-get so
updating the system is quick and easy.

That said, I found that YDL 2.3 didn't have some of the packages that I
had become accustomed to in Debian, so I made the switch.  Debian PPC,
though not as simple to install, is still, fantastically Debian.

Mac/PPC hardware really gets unleashed on a Linux system.  You'll never
want to go back.

Helpful hints:

Use the YDL mailing list archive and site for their excellent Mac/PPC
documentation.

If you are frightened of bootloaders or need a Mac OS(*) partition,
BootX is the way to go.  Very easy.

Subscribe to the debian-powerpc or ydl mailing lists and use the
respective irc channels.  The Mac/PPC Linux community is as helpful as
the rest of the lot.

Good luck

Branden

--
|Branden Faulls                         |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk