[Gllug] Insecure practices at my ISP

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Apr 4 10:25:58 UTC 2003

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, David Pashley wrote:

> > Does the same apply to the use of `ls -al` or find though? After all
> > that's all anyone would need to run in order to determine the security
> > issues Gary mentioned.
> >
> > It might even be considered a reasonable thing to do given that he might
> > be trusting a vital part of his business operation to the system.
>
> If the ISP consider it to be unauthorised, then yes, he would be
> breaking the Computer Misuse Act. Has he been given permission to look
> at other peoples files?

For attempts to access other peoples' files that is true. What however of
system files?

It seems to me that it is reasonable to assume on a shared hosting system
that by default permissions would be such that a normal user would not be
able to look into any other users home directory. This is the default with
many *NIX systems (at least those reasonably up to date as in < 3-4 years
old) after all.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign up now
UKPOST.COM	 	           get your @ukpost.com address now...