[Gllug] [OT] Hero vote

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Mon Apr 14 13:01:24 UTC 2003

At 11:39 14/04/03, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> [...]

Presumably you are unaware that at the height of the Indonesian slaughter
of the East Timorese Nelson Mandela accepted a donation of $10 million from
Suharto. I wonder what Mandela would have thought if Ramos Horta had been
offered and accepted a similar donation from the government of South Africa
shortly after some notable massacre of black South Africans.

Mandela has had his moments but that was certainly not one of them.

Also, Vaclav Havel has supported every act of aggression by the US and has
consequently been feted by such luminaries as Clinton, Bush and Blair. I'm
reminded of his address to Congress where he described the US as the
"defender of freedom". He suggested that the backbone of our actions must
be "responsibility - responsibility to something higher than my family, my
country, my company, my success". Noam Chomsky with his usual low tolerance
of hypocrisy suggested:  "responsibility to suffering people in the
Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Timor, Indochina, Mozambique, the Gaza
Strip, and others like them who can offer direct testimony on the great
works of the 'defender of freedom' ". (All quotes are from Chomsky's
Deterring Democracy.)

Caring for one's own constituency to the exclusion of others equally
entitled to freedom from oppression hardly merits the title heroism. And
that's being gentle - what springs to mind are words like "collusion".

I would suggest that your definition of *hero* could do with some refining.

Rgds
Dermot

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk