[Gllug] Bringing home the revolution

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 19 10:07:27 UTC 2003

As (most of us) are off work for a few days I thought I'd ask a general
question or two.

1. When will the big breakthough come? Is it here already (servers) and we
should stop worrying about desktops?

2. Does it matter anyway - would a world without MS be a better place or not?

From my personal pov I think we are still too surrounded in mystery, too
offten thought of as CLI freaks. Where I work the sysadmin runs a Windows
network, and he's quite good at it - but he's resistant to the way I have
brought a couple of 'nix servers (reusing old hardware, so costing little but
my time), because he thinks it's a far more "difficult" technology and what
if I feel under a bus ---- who would handle the squid server then?

Of course, a lot of this is tied up in the whole hacker culture thing. Linux
is fun after all and we are deliberately counter cultural....

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk