[Gllug] Sony Net MD

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Thu Apr 24 18:42:27 UTC 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 04:40:16PM +0100, Jim Bailey wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 04:18:01PM +0100, Pete Ryland wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 12:39:39PM +0100, Richard Turner wrote:
> > > Does anyone have any idea whether it's possible to get Linux to talk
> > > to my Net MD Walkman over its USB interface?  I've just decided to try
> > > to permanently and completely rid myself of Windows, and that's one of
> > > the things I'm going to miss if Linux won't support it.
> >
> > There's software at:
> >
> > http://pdr.cx/projects/gnetmd/main/
> >
> > Let me know if you have any problems with it.

BTW, Marc Brittan (the author of libnetmd) is currently redoing his web
page, so it is currently not available.  The mailing list is still active
though, and the archive is at:

http://gargoyles.monochromatic.net/pipermail/netmd-dev/

Any questions about gnetmd can be asked there too.

> Very Sony, very happy to build on the work of others with their new
> consumer electronics kernel but wouldn't know how to share if their
> grasping little corporate hearts depended on it.
>
> I put Sony in the same category as Apple making all the right noises but
> non of the right gestures.

I've always been very happy with Sony hardware and firmware, but in this
case, even the Windows software is bad, and I get constant inquiries about
better software for Windows even!

Anyway, I think there are some in the company who want to support Linux (and
Mac), but obviously the powers that be can't see the financial benefit.
Also, they have a *large* media business to protect, so they're quite
careful about making sure their copy protection scheme (MagicGate) is kept
under lock and key.

The marketing types that respond to the regular sony support questions
aren't helpful, but I've had a bit more positive response from a techie

----- Forwarded message from ATRAC3 <atrac3 at sony.co.jp> -----