[Gllug] Windows Petrol Pump and monitors

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Apr 19 16:58:12 UTC 2003

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 09:01:48PM +0100, Andrew Black (li) wrote:

> > It seems incredible to me that anyone would use something as unstable, or
> over-
> > the-top, as Windows to run a simple Petrol Pump !!
>
> I have seen the platform train displays at London Bridge displaying
> something like "Insufficient virtaul memory - [OK] " sideways (because the
> screens are mounted in portait format).  Not clear how you get to press [OK]
> !
>
> Incedently, why are computer monitors almost always landscape when real life
> text is usually portrait.  Is it becuase CRTs are based on Television
> screens?

Annoying isn't it! My new Zaurus (gllug, passim) is cute because it
has a portrait screen. It's much more natural for reading text. And I
always run browser windows maximized vertically.

Back in the day (ie. late 80s/early 90s) I recall seeing a monitor
which you could rotate through 90 degrees so it could be operated in
landscape or portrait mode. Not sure whether it caught on? Do Macs
do anything like this?

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London) and Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/