[Gllug] Linux for Mac

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 26 16:03:55 UTC 2003

North London John wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to install linux on my G3 CRT iMac. Has anyone on this list have
> experience of doing so on this type of box? What distro is best? Which
> has the best documentation?

Like many others it appears, I use Debian on my G3 and it works
perfectly. It was not hard to install, as a 3 way boot with OS9 and OSX.
The biggest problem was the installer not ejecting the CD when it wanted
the second - it's a slot loading drive and has no button. A paper clip
was required.

I found that the on board DEC DS21143 ethernet card worked better when I
replaced the de4x5 driver Debian defaulted to with the tulip one. Before
I did this it would not negotiate full duplex.

Apart from that I do not recall any problems.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk