[Gllug] SFTP Server

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Apr 10 10:37:09 UTC 2003

Mike Brodbelt writes:

>Does anyone know if any network equipment manufacturers are supporting
>ssh for management? At the moment, my only secure option would be a rack
>mount box in every cabinet with a serial line attached to the switch,
>which is far from cost effective.

Yes, it's a pain in the ass. Cisco are gradually dragging themselves
into the modern era. Their pix firewalls now support ssh, but routers
and switches don't (although that's starting to change). The ones that
bother me most are our access servers and load balancers, which we can
still only telnet to. The access servers in particular are used for
console level access to all our production servers, and hence will
typically have root passwords being entered. Like you suggest, the
only sensible solution is an access box in each cabinet to which you
can ssh, and then get to the relevant box via a serial line.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk