[Gllug] More from SCO

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Wed Apr 30 23:29:05 UTC 2003

In message <3EB024CD.9210D66C at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk>, Ian
Northeast <ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk> writes

>It may be true that IBM employees who have been allowed to see
>proprietary UNIX code are now working on Linux but I cannot see how this
>can be illegal. It does not imply that they are copying it. It would be
>a great shame if having once worked on UNIX prohibited one from working
>on Linux.

 From what I recall of Chinese-wall procedures this could well be
illegal. IIRC when Compaq first cloned the IBM BIOS they asked all of
their programmers to sign an affidavit to the effect that they had never
looked at any of the IBM code.

I wonder whether anyone else writing Linux code has ever worked for SCO?

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com
www.diversebooks.com: SF & Computing book reviews and more.....