[Gllug] Mp3 player for Linux recommendation

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 7 22:44:42 UTC 2003

On 07 Apr 2003, Adrian McMenamin said:
> On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 23:31, Nix wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Apr 2003, Peter Adamson mused:
>> > In case anyones interested I've just got a new Mp3 player (Archos JukeboxStudio 10),
>>
>> Yep; just got a JB FM Recorder here (last month).

>> More precisely, it's
>>
>> - a sh-1 CPU running at 12MHz or thereabouts, in little-endian mode
[snip]
> Why won't linux run? There is a real effort being made to port 2.5 to
> the SH2 - using ucLinux (as no MMU) - but I am sure Paul Mundt would
> welcome your assistance if you wanted to extend that to the SH1.

The sh1 and sh2 aren't *that* similar; substantial changes might be
necessary.

Plus, there's only 2Mb of RAM in this thing, and by its nature you want
the OS in this device to be as small as possible in order to reserve as
much space as possible for MP3 buffering. Plus, its possible
communication modalities with other hardware are quite limited; in fact,
without hardware mods they are nearly nil. (As in, you can't even use
the disk, much; while the USB cable is plugged in, the ISD-200/ISD-300
has control of the disk, and the sh1 had better not write to it; the
on-disk controller could be in any state at all.)

--
#ifdef USE_ISPTS_FLAG
		} else {	/* else pty, not pts */

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk