[Gllug] SWAP over NFS

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Wed Apr 9 08:33:16 UTC 2003

James Bromberger writes:

>I would think of a simple way to do it: mount a partition, make a file,
>and then mount that via loopback (perhaps)? Sure, slow, but then again,
>this is (a) NFS, and (b) Swap, so having a loopback in there probably
>isnt going to be that big a percentage hinderance.

But that wouldn't work on a diskless workstation... In general, your
capacity planning should come up with a suitable amount of memory to
put on each workstation so that it doesn't swap. But what if it runs
out of memory? It's usually better to swap over NFS, no matter how
slow and potentially unreliable it may be, rather than to just OOM.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk