[Gllug] Sony Net MD

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Sun Apr 27 01:58:08 UTC 2003

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 08:14:30PM +0100, Ian Norton wrote:
> this is really quite stupid,
>
> we record lectures with the md, it would be nice to put them on the hd as
> mp3s, are sony kidding? tsk tsk

It was also part of their big advertising campaign when they launched the
MD: that it would be useful when creating music.  I think it's on purpose
that they are trying to stop people from making and distributing their own
music, but then maybe that's too much of a conspiracy theory.

You can, of course, copy tracks via the analog interface, but then who wants
to do that?

*sigh* it is such a beautiful and natural progression from the floppy disc
and the CD (which they invented and co-invented respectively) and yet they
make us use it with our hands tied behind our backs.

I think I'm going to wait for a good portable .ogg format player before I'm
spending any more money on portable music.

Pete
--
Pete Ryland
http://pdr.cx/