[Gllug] SFTP Server

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 9 22:27:45 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 13:49, itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 01:04:34PM +0100, Doug Winter wrote:

> It's not ssh that needs to justify its existence, it's telnet.  There is
> simply no need for usernames and passwords to be passing unprotected
> about your network.  Why make it easier to crack than it need be?

I turn telnet off on all my linux machines. However, one place where I
still use telnet, and send passwords in the clear is when managing
various switches and other pieces of network hardware. My switches
accept management over RS232, http with basic authentication, and
telnet.

Does anyone know if any network equipment manufacturers are supporting
ssh for management? At the moment, my only secure option would be a rack
mount box in every cabinet with a serial line attached to the switch,
which is far from cost effective.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk