[Gllug] Limiting SSH access

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 09:42:06 UTC 2003

On Thursday 03 Apr 2003 8:31 am, French, Alastair wrote:
> Hi all
>
> We have linux box inside our Lan (the rest is running NT/2K) with ssh
> enabled for external access. Is there a way that we can restrict anyone
> ssh'ing to that machine so that they cannot gain access to any other part
> of the network?
>
> We cannot put the box in the DMZ due to the data on the machine!
>
> Can anyone help please?

How about giving the machine an alias ip address on a different subnet and
only listening for ssh on that.

I assume the connections for ssh are coming from outside the LAN (port
forwarding or something). So you port forward the ssh connections to the
alias ip address, and errr, now I cant remember where I was going with
this... More coffee is required. Sorry :-/

SteveH

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk