[Gllug] SMC 7401BRA

Gerald Keen gerry at london.com
Fri Apr 18 11:47:16 UTC 2003

Alistair,

forgive the unsolicited email but I found a posting of yours which mentioned you had an SMC 7401BRA DSL router which you had set up with a SuSE box as a firewall behind it on a Plus Net DSL connection.

I am hoping you can help me if, as I assume, you are using 2 fixed IPs here, one for the router and one for the SuSE box.  I have a virtually identical set-up requirement; to assign the first public IP to the router and the second public IP to a firewall on the inside.

How did you set up the barricade to work without NAT to pass all IP traffic through to the second public IP (the firewall)?

I have tried for hours to work out how this is set up.  I have set the WAN IP to be the first in the range, switched off NAT and DHCP server and set the firewall to be the second public IP.  However I don't know what IP to assign to the LAN port.  Currently it is set to default (192.168.1.1).  I thought I should enable Bridging, but when I do that, the Barricade router won't attach to Plus Net.

If you have a configfuration crib sheet to do this I would be most grateful.

Many thanks

Gerry Keen