[Gllug] Insecure practices at my ISP

new2unix at sdf.lonestar.org new2unix at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Apr 4 00:40:18 UTC 2003

> My question is whether this is nothing out of the ordinary? I wouldn't have
> thought so but this is the first ISP I've telnet-ed into. Is it usually the
> responsibility of the user to change his directory permissions? Even so,
> surely I shouldn't be able to browse the server's root directory?
>
> PlusNet's MySQL version is also 3 years out of date (3.22.32) so doesn't
> even support the MyISAM table format, which gained MySQL its repuation for
> performance. Maybe the sysadmins at PlusNet just don't get it.

I have a shell account with sdf.lonestar.org, a non-profit corporation.
Most directories are set to 755 by default but as a place where people
come generally to learn about the unix way (whatever that may be), its
not long before one is securing ones home directory, setting up procmail
filters for chosen mail client and scratching together a website amongst
other things.

Here, ssh is encouraged over telnet and all installed programs are kept
bang up to date.
SDF is community driven so you only have to request a package to be
installed for it to be there.
Heck, we even have allocated gopher space each. Now who in this modern
age still uses gopher?

I guess things would have been different if it were a commercial
company.
Browsing the network and poking around, for instance, would have been
denied.

Regards,

.new2unix

=