[Gllug] More from SCO

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 19:32:29 UTC 2003

Andrew Halliwell wrote:

> I think if they tried to go after SuSE, they'd be laughed out of court.
> SuSE is (was?) one of their partners in the United Linux project after all.

SuSE is very much a partner in United Linux. SuSE Enterprise Server 8 is
United Linux. I'm not sure how much longer SCO will be:)

The whole business makes little sense to me. They are alleging that IBM
have given parts of AIX to the open source community (which they have)
and that, as IBM licensed UNIX from AT&T and this license is now owned
by SCO, this means that they have given code owned by SCO to the open
source community. But IBM have removed all the AT&T/SCO owned code from
AIX. AFAICT all the code which IBM have given out is theirs to do with
as they wish.

It may be true that IBM employees who have been allowed to see
proprietary UNIX code are now working on Linux but I cannot see how this
can be illegal. It does not imply that they are copying it. It would be
a great shame if having once worked on UNIX prohibited one from working
on Linux.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk