[Gllug] Filesystems for Linux

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Mon Apr 28 09:17:44 UTC 2003

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 22:24:39 +0000 (GMT)
Chris Bell <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>    Is there any agreement about the preferred filesystem for a
> general-purpose Linux box (not intended to be dedicated for streaming
> video)? The normal choice offered is ext2, ext3, or Reiser. The last I
> heard, some time ago, was that there were more recovery tools for
> ext2/3 problems, and that a small /boot partition may be best left as
> ext2.

Ext3 is nice especially given that it comes in the default kernel of
lots of distros. Also good that you can upgrade ext2 filesysems to it.

However if you want extra functionality I can heartily recommend XFS.
	Access control lists,
	Direct-IO if you really need the speed.
	All sorts of fun with inode dumps.

It can be a bit of a pig to patch kernels to get it to work. Plus I
think the only distros you can get which install with XFS are SGI's
hacked-up versions of RedHat.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk